A leaky roof, broken pipes, and damp ceiling insulation can all encourage the growth of mould in your home if you don’t do anything about it.

Mould is the type of thing that will creep up on you and grow so fast that, before you know it, every nook and cranny is filled with the stuff.
So how do you get rid of it and what’s the best way to protect your family from its musty reach? Read on to find out…

What causes mouldy roofing?

Mould thrives in damp, humid, and unventilated conditions (like bathrooms, kitchens, and laundries) and often looks like a black stain or a smudge. If water is leaking through your roof, there’s a good chance that you’ll find moisture, rot, or mould on your ceiling.

Other causes of mouldy roofing may include wet ceiling insulation, condensation, steam from hot water, leaking pipes and gutters, pockets of moist air trapped in your wall cavities, damp wallpaper glue, and poor ventilation.

Mouldy environments are toxic environments

As mould is toxic, it’s important to know how it reproduces so you can stop it ASAP.

In order to reproduce, mould produces tiny particles called spores. Spores are carried in the air and are invisible to the naked eye. If inhaled, they can cause a plethora of health problems, including:

  • Asthma
  • Allergic reactions
  • Skin, eye, and throat irritations
  • Coughing and phlegm build-up
  • Fever
  • Wheezing and shortness of breath
  • Lung infections
  • Running or blocked nose
  • Weakened immune system
  • Nausea and headaches

Dr. Peter Dingle, an environmental scientist and the presenter of the SBS show Is Your House Killing You?, says that mould is the “asbestos of the new generation”. It damages the physical structure of your home and contaminates anything it comes into contact with.

“The effects of mould and dampness on the respiratory health of children are comparable to the effect of passive smoking and include other effects such as asthma and chronic bronchitis … in severe cases, it can cause death,” says Dr. Dingle.

Mould causes structural damage to your home

Mould-related damage can be very costly, both to the structure of your home and your bank account. As mould grows, it digests the surface it is attached to, breaking down the surface properties and weakening it like termites.

So if you don’t fix this quickly, it can have an enormous impact on your home and can potentially cost you thousands of dollars!

How to prevent mould from growing in your home

The key to preventing mould growth is reducing the dampness in your home.

Most moulds need 24 – 48 hours to develop, so it’s important to act quickly as soon as you notice roofing leaks or moisture on your ceiling, walls, furniture, or attic rafters.

Some simple things you can do to prevent dampness in your home include:

  • Get a free roof inspection to check for cracks, leaks, and damaged gutters.
  • Maintain proper ventilation by installing a whirlybird, opening your windows and doors, and using an exhaust fan when cooking or showering.
  • Reduce the humidity in your home by drying clothes outside and using a dehumidifier.
  • Keep downspouts and gutters clean and free of debris.
  • Repair all water leaks and plumbing problems (e.g. dripping taps and blocked drains) as soon as you see them.
  • Remove items that encourage mould growth, like water-damaged carpets, wet ceiling insulation, and damp cardboard boxes in your attic.

What to do next?

Early detection is critical! If you think your roof needs a repair, restoration, or replacement, it’s best to get in touch with the professionals before any severe damage is done. At Reno Saver, we offer free inspections, measures, and quotes.

So why not give us a call on 1300 650 114 or send us an online enquiry today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *