Removal of mould

Toxic black mould needs to be removed professionally as touching or trying to remove the mould yourself will likely release a cloud of harmful spores into the air. You can remove a small area (less than one metre square) of non-toxic mould yourself with a mould cleaning solution but take precautions by laying down plastic and wearing gloves and a mask.

Preventing mould

Cleaning alone may not get rid of your mould problem, especially if you have a water leak in your roof. There’s a reason why the mould grew there in the first place so if you are having recurring problems with ceiling mould it’s best to call in a professional to check for roof leaks, broken gutters or cracked drainpipes. Mould can grow quickly on your ceiling if it has the three elements it needs to survive: water, oxygen and a food source (i.e. cellulose). If the problem is more to do with moisture build up then you’ll need to change the way the room is ventilated to prevent further problems with mould outbreaks.

Why ceiling mould should never be ignored

In general ceiling mould is the sign of a roof leak or that there is a lot of moisture in your home. Either way it’s very important to get it looked at. Here’s why ceiling mould should never be ignored.

One of the most common household complaints is mould. It’s not only older homes that can have a mould problem, any home can have a build up of condensation that will eventually lead to mould. Everyday activities such as showering, cleaning and cooking can introduce more moisture than usual into the household environment and the ceiling is usually the place it appears if a home isn’t well ventilated.

As well as being unsightly, mould is usually the symptom of a larger moisture problem, of either poor ventilation or roof leaks but, if left unchecked, cause structural damage to homes, and can eat away at wood and insulation. More importantly a mould problem can grow larger causing health problems such as allergies, respiratory issues and more serious neurological problems.

Which types of mould are most toxic?

Black mould is the most toxic mould and this needs to be dealt with immediately if it is discovered. Toxic black mould produces mycotoxins that can be breathed in causing problems with the circulatory and respiratory system, as well as psychological and neurological damage.

Green mould is less toxic but still harmful as it can cause sinus infections, inflammation of the lungs, bronchitis and, in rare cases, pneumonia. No matter what colour the mould is it is best to remove it for the health of you and your family. For kitchens and bathrooms you can look at installing extractor fans, for lounges and bedrooms a dehumidifier is a worthwhile purchase.

You will also need to be more vigilant with mopping up spillages and drying wet areas immediately, such as floors and walls of the bathroom. Instead of leaving wet clothes to dry on a rack inside put them outside if the weather’s fine or use the dryer. On dry days open doors and windows to let fresh air circulate through your home to reduce moisture and prevent mould.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *